| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Selecting finish method for old pine washstand

Posted By: lee <flsimons@shaw.ca> (h24-81-123-38.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: 6/5/2 18:09

Hi, it's me again.

I very much appreciate the information on this site and have spent much time trawling through the archives. I think I've learned a few things. In theory. I have yet to put them to practice. As mentioned in an earlier post, I have an old pine piece (I think it's a bigger than usual washstand) that has ceramic tile inlaid on the surface of the dresser part and on the backsplash of the hutch part.

For various reasons, I am now sitting here with the thing stripped to grain. It looks 100% better than it did, but some of the soft grain still holds tiny threads of the original dark stain. I haven't washed it down with spirits or anything and I have sanded it with medium grade, then again with fine. I am afraid to sand it anymore. Should I be? Also, better late than never, but this thing had alot of paint on it--old paint. I didn't think about the lead content--when did they stop putting lead in paint. Hope I live to see this thing finished!

With regard to finishing it--have checked out the local suppliers and they have only Zinnser Bulls Eye shellac that appears to be several months old and is a 3 lb cut. I am confused because it says that shellac is both a "pre-stain" and a "finisher." So, do I use this with a brush? BEFORE any stain, if I go the stain route?

What about that Danish oil finish? Do you put it on with cotton batting and wip off with same? Would that be better for me, give the inexperience thing? Do you then just put a layer of paste wax on it?

Sorry to sound like such a looser, but my area of expertise is abit far removed from this, my new obsession.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.