| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

First timer too--had to strip, sand, now what?

Posted By: lee simons <flsimons@shaw.ca> (h24-81-123-38.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: 6/3/2 19:58

Hi,

Yes, I am new to this art of restoration. I recently bought a big piece that appears to be a cross between a hossier and a dresser (has a hutch, inlaid ceramic tile on dresser top and backsplash of hutch--also a mirror inset in upper part of hutch). It does not appear to be a particularly "good" piece but once I got the 6 coats of paint off of it, I found that it is indeed old. It's only pine. WHen the paint came off I found that I had a few problems to deal with:

1) the cupboard door is a replacement. Seems to be some kind of veneered (looks like light ash) lumber core. Grain runs the wrong way and there is some kind of undercoat that is crazed and hard as rock--what is it? WOuld it be better to replace the door with a piece of pine? Have partly sanded it, but murderous job.

2) the piece appears to have been orginally stained a dark brown. Unfortunately, again, after paint was removed, there appears to have been some modifications to the original design--there are "bare" spots where it looks like some kind of additional fixture or design interest was afixed on either side of the hutch! Woe is me. It meant that I had to sand it down to bare (even though I know what this does to its value as an antique--but, believe me, it didn't have much aesthetic value BEFORE I stripped it, so....). So I did. It does still have a "five-o'clock shadow" in places however. Is this okay?

2) One side of the whole piece is actually kind of worm damaged. Particularly near the base. I see no recent evidence of pests--in fact, one of the coats of paint must have been applied after some of the damage--do these need to be treated? How would I know if it is recent damage? OUght I to fill them? If so, with what?

My intention was to use this as a trial piece and it does seem to be that--I've encountered all kinds of problems! Any help or suggestions would be most appreicated. I will check the website, but don't hesitate to email me. Thanks LS

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.