| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Polyurethane Problems

Posted By: Maxine <maxicakes@aol.com> (spider-ntc-td041.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 5/28/2 00:45

The table I'm working on isn't an antique but I'm hoping the furniture refinishing experience of some of you might help. So far, I have made a royal mess of refinishing a dining room table. This is my first, last and (hopefully) only experience with using polyurethane. All other pieces I have done have either been varnish or oil finish. Polyurethane was chosen because I need an extremely strong surface as this will be a work table and subject to various food colors, non toxic paints, etc., and I wanted to be sure they wouldn't soak through to the wood. However, I cannot get the finish to go on smoothly. The table is wide enough that, at some points, I cannot make one swipe all the way across without lifting up the brush. Every time I do, it leaves a mark. For whatever reason, the last coat applied came out streaky. I have attempted to sand it off to start over but that also is not working out well. At this point, I would settle for a halfway decent looking, strong finish. Can I put a water based polyurethane over an oil based one (which is what is on the table now)? I am out of time to allow the drying necessary between coats of oil based polyurethane. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.