| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: porcelain epoxy

Posted By: Peter Dale <PeteandDawnie@aol.com> (spider-wf022.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 4/14/2 19:39

In Response To: porcelain epoxy (sonny Nima)

Most glues will discolor and patches that are filled and painted show up dark with light behind them , not to mention the possible scratches envolved in restoring the area. When ever possible I use "light cure " glues ,fillers and glaze. Some of these are the same as used by Dentists and labs that make false teeth .For gluing together a clean break in true porcelain (you can shine light thru it) including bisque and even glass, I use "Crystal Clear "glue by Duro.It comes in a red syringe .07fl. This glue seems to do a great job. To fill in missing areas I use a Dental fill made by Dentsply--Caulk Division.It literally looks like a 5" rope of caulking you would use around the house.Except it comes in tooth colors of which the only near white (like Irish Belleek)iscalled "Pedo" for pediatric--childrens first teeth color. Use the caulk with your fingers that you can wet in alcohol.Or use a small tool like a spatulla , also wet in alcohol.To cause this filling to adhere , you must first spread a little Light cure glue around the edges.This acts as the primer and glue to hold the fill in place. Once you are happy with your work, then take it out in the bright sunshine. If you did the work and the sun goes away, put the object you are working on in a low or no light area and come back to it later. If necessary the area can be polished with "Micro Surface" polishing pads or even glazed over with denture glaze(another light cure product) Even if you have to paint the work area , the fill is so light transparent that it will probably not look dark with a light behind it.Any Questions ? You can reach me at Peteanddawnie@aol.com

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.