| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: What type of glue should I use.

Posted By: Peter Dale <PeteandDawnie@aol.com> (spider-wa011.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 4/14/2 13:52

In Response To: What type of glue should I use. (Chris)

Hi! Just got into 21century w/computer(reason for late reply) I am advacate for light cure gluing of porcelains and glass.If the break is clean and the pieceslock together then I would recommend a Product called "crystal Clear" by Duro, comes in a small red syringe, costs $4-$5 -- is great for this type repair. Other glues are either colored or will discolor in short time and usually have to be hidden by a painting over.Many times I've been able to mend glass and porcelain without any further steps just using this product.You can also tint it with tiny amounts of powders , too much tint causes the glue to become rubbery,so be careful! This can also be used as a primer layer to add other glues and fills to if they don'thave a good adhesion .All you need is a bright sunlight day to expose the object to so that the photosensitive (uv) glue cures.Depending on the thicness of the object,curing takes from 10seconds to a minite or so.After curing(you can handle it right away)you will have to wipe the surface with alcohol, as most light cure produsts leave a sticky film on the very top surface and that is normal. If you feel the repaired area and it feels hard(slight hump)yet sticky , then its cured --wipe off the sticky(called the Air Barrier) and you are in business!Four years ago I wrote an artical on light glues thats that is on line some where. I guess I just wrote another one.Any questions? PS there are other good light cure products out there including a top glaze that can be tinted and ends up like glass.Hope is helps.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.