| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Antique Piano

Posted By: K. Doane <mdoane@mcleodusa.net> (A010-0114.MTON.splitrock.net)
Date: 4/11/2 19:23

The archives have just saved my piano from poly - thanks! But I need some serious help: The piano is dated 1910 and is completely veneered. Due to neglect and age, the finish is dulled and the veneer is chipped in a few places. I do not want to strip the finish as is has a beautiful mahogany color to it and the veneer has an interesting "tiger oak(?)" grain. This is my first job and I'm anxious to get to work on it. I would like to brighten the original finish if possible as well as protect it (I have 2 small children). There are places that I'm seeing where the veneer has dried out(?) and a microscopic layer is coming off the top even with cleaning.

I have used a product called "Gum Out" to remove latex paint splatters, and that has worked great. I like how the finish looks when the wood is "wet", but after it dries, it returns to it's dull shape...

Are you really going to tell me to do a cleaning w/ laquer? That sounds so harsh and I always thought that was for stripping (shows what I know - ha!)

I have a piece that cannot be retored that I can strip the veneer to patch the chipped places - if I have some guidance :)

Thanks so much for this site!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.