| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

"Hand Rubbed Finish"

Posted By: Charlie <c2berger@yahoo.com> (ppp-208-188-43-89.dialup.eulstx.swbell.net)
Date: 3/30/2 14:45

My father used a finish comprised of unboiled linseed oil and turpentine. My file folder of formulae and finishes was lost in the aftermath of a home burglary.

I have searched back issues of wood crafting magazines and just today found your website. I have been riveted to the keyboard and monitor for the last three hours. Did not find info on the process but have certainly enjoyed the site.

The process my father used was to apply coats of the finish at certain intervals over a considerable time span. I think he also varied the formula over time. I know that he mixed shellac from scratch, but don't know if he used it with the hand rubbed finish. I think my great grandfather brought the process/formula from Germany around 1880. I read about this process in some wood publication, but as I said above, cannot find the 'zine.

Can anyone please help with info on the process and formula?

Thanx Much. Charlie

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.