| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: antique dresser help

Posted By: deb <deb.silve@verizon.net> (pool-141-157-163-171.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: 3/19/2 17:06

In Response To: Re: antique dresser help (bobup)

thanks so much for your help. the hot air stripping gun is terrific!!!!! Every drawer is stenciled! Maybe the top will be, too! Here's the thing, now, though - with the hot air gun I've actually got it down to the original lacquer which is just beautiful. But, i've also got the remnants from the plastic scraper that I've got to clean up. What do you think would be the gentlest to remove these thin paint remnants without damaging the original lacquer (I would like to just bring the piece back to this). I was thinking maybe citristrip on 000 steel wool in one hand, and a wash cloth in the other hand. What do you think? Or do you have any other suggestions? as an FYI, after doing some research, it looks to be a gentlemen's dresser made in the early to mid 18th century. I still have to date the dovetailing which dowel-like. It certainly has a lot of ink spilled in the drawers - this gentlemen must have been a bit careless:) Thanks again.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.