| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Mahogany Tables with Leather

Posted By: T.J. <deked1@yahoo.com> (1Cust125.tnt6.manassas.va.da.uu.net)
Date: 3/13/2 18:07

In Response To: Re: Mahogany Tables with Leather (T.J.)

Hey Jim, Let's talk about one table in particular. It has drips and stuff all stuck to it from mishandling. The leather on this piece looks as though someone gooped on some orange/tan paint like substance. I can faintly see the tooling through all the thick material. But, I can not see any gold on this table due to the thickness of this whatever was used. By the way they must have glopped it on with a paint brush, because you can faintly see the brush marks. Now, you mentioned denatured rubbing alcohol as apposed to Kutzit. Is your line of thinking, to get down to the original wood and leather slowly instead of all at once? And, clear lacquer???? Why not Mahogany stain? And, when does the 0000 steel wool come into play?. I am thinking that if worse comes to worse the table and leather become totally stripped then we can stain it. And, maybe get some leather dye. Is that too severe a mind-set? I really really appreciate all your help, despite feeling dopey. I can't wait to take on this project. T.J. Lyons

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.