| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Asian Black Lacquer Furniture

Posted By: bob march <bobmarch@comcen.com.au> (redirect.comcen.com.au)
Date: 3/12/2 05:57

In Response To: Asian Black Lacquer Furniture (Glenn)

I am developing a hobby to restore, to my own original designs (using Buddhist paraphenalia such as Buddhist rosary and body sashes), worn and/or damaged carved wooden Buddhas - Thai or Burmese - most of which were originally black with some paint decoration, usually distinctive orange or red. The woods are heavy tropical timbers, and I don't want to do anything to them except restore cuts, worm holes, etc. The ones I wqill choose will have little tooling, and most surfaces will be smooth. I'd like advice from people who have experience in doing this kind of work. I'd like to dabble with repainting some of them in gold - but can I get a "goldy" gold paint for this kind of surface, what preparation should I do, and what sort of paint would be best? Or I am thinking of trying off the wall colours such as an aquamarine, or in the vicinty, and complementing with appropriate sashes and colored rosary beads. A Buddhist rosary can be just 108 beads strung on any kind of thread. So I have choices to make with the beqads as well. In fact, I can mix small with periodically large beads also. If the figure allows, I would think about incorporating other Buddhist regalia, without interfering with the figure's integrity. The figures would be either standing say 3-5 feet high, or sitting, up to say 3 feet high.

Thanks,

Bob March

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.