| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Restoring a 150yo Scandinavian Pine Table

Posted By: Victor (cachef7.kolumbus.fi)
Date: 2/27/2 10:54

We recently purchased an unfinished 150 yo pine farmer's table in Sweden which we would like to restore as a rustic dining table. It consists of three wide slabs of pine on two wide wooden legs which all have a beautiful weathered gray patina like driftwood. Unfortunately the top was used for storage in a barn and suffers from various stains and black rings from various liquids in the wood (might be oil, water or stain) which were created by the bottoms of paint-cans and have little charm. Additionally, like a piece of driftwood, the top is dry and splintered in places, especially on the sides. There is also a 4mm space running between two of the boards which had been filled with a type of filler that has crumbled and can now be described as crud.

In restoring the table I'm looking to remove the stains, preserve or recreate the gray patina of the top and protect it from future stains and splintering. Sanding and refinishing doesn't seem like a good course since I'll lose the patina and get a honey colored top with gray legs. My first instinct is to clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap, bleach the top with Oxalic Acid and give it a very light sanding to even the grain. Another idea was to sand it down and then recreate the patina with something like Old Growth. What is a sound course of action? Finally should I apply a finish like clear Fiddes Supreme to protect the table top and prevent further splintering or is it best to let the old boy stand warts and all?

Best Regards. Victor

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.