| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

l7th century coffer and japanese laquer

Posted By: candice kay <dgoodman@gtd.centrax.co.uk> (m397-mp1-cvx1a.bri.ntl.com)
Date: 2/6/2 12:22

I have a late l7th century oak panelled coffer and where woodworm has attacked the base it has left one plank spongy so that you can almost put your finger through it. How do I restore it without detracting from its value. Should I replace the plank? with old wood? or harden the spongy wood? Also the top has a varnish of some sort and you can see black stains and pale stains under this. Can I take off the varnish and remove these stains? Where do I buy the necessary products?

Also I have a late l9th century japanese black lacquered and gilt decorated table cabinet. How can I restore a shine to the black lacquer and can I restore the gilt that has rubbed off in some areas. Can I also get a key to fit the lock and I also need to do some wood filling and stain black and then lacquer. Your help would be very much appreciated. You may need to know that I have not done any antique restoring before but am very keen to learn.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.