| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Help Determining Generic Style of Old Desk

Posted By: Richard Grindle <wintermute@lineone.net> (isproxy2emc.com)
Date: 1/8/2 11:14

Hi,

I have obtained an old desk from my Dad, and would like to learn more about it. Perhaps someone in this forum could help me get started by identifying the generic type or style of the desk?

From the bottom, the desk is like a pedestal desk with two pedestals of 5 drawers each with a single drawer and a space for the users knees between the two pedestals. However, on top, the desk is more like a “bureau” style of desk with “pigeon holes” and other small shelves and drawers behind a hinged panel that opens to form the writing surface of the desk. This panel is vertical when in the closed position, and gently sloping from the horizontal when in the open position. The very top of the desk forms a shelf for books, etc. The whole desk is one piece – i.e. the sides of the desk are a single piece of wood with no join between the lower and upper parts. The desk is about 52 inches wide, 62 inches high, and is 22 inches deep when closed, and about 31 inches deep with the desk surface down.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know if there is a generic name or short description for this type or style of desk.

Many thanks,

Richard.

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.