| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Crib repair/timber joining.

Posted By: Mr. T. <mrtemporal@toosexyforthisdomain.com> (hindburn.open.ac.uk)
Date: 11/29/1 10:22

I've got an old crib which needs a new bottom. I will need to use this piece of furniture in the next few days - the situation is urgent! The good lady can't hold on much longer! I've tried some newsgroups, no joy.

N.B. I'm a complete beginner at antique restoration, but fairly "handy".

Basically, the question is "how is it best to join some pieces of oak batten to the inside of a box?", but here goes the full text:

__

_,-''-,_ <-hood or cowl | \ MINI-VIEW (side) END VIEW .' '. | \______

/ \ | |

| | |__________| (from | | # #

foot) |--/\----/\--| <- bottom end #______#

| | of crib # #

| |

| |

|____________|

# #

# #

# #

# # <- legs

-._ _.-

'-._ _.-' <- curved rocker

'''' The bottom has been bodged at some time ('60s?), by having some softwood battens nailed all around the bottom inside of the box, and a piece of 1" shuttering ply laid inside. Investigations show that (perhaps) originally, there were three 3/8" boards running lengthwise retained in pieces of (elm?) attached to the ends of the crib.

Now, I'm intending that this piece be restored for use, so I've got an upholsterer to make up a new mattress, and I've been cutting boards for a new base, from an old post, which I can tell you is lbooyd hard work! I've now got some nice sawn and part-smoothed boards, but what is the best way to attach them to the crib body, the timber of which is rather wormy. There're two pieces of 1 3/4h 1/2"d x16" strips to be fixed to the crib (from inside) to receive 3" lengthwise strips:

| ______ ______ ______ |

end piece | ------ ------ ------ |

with slots |________________________________|

and some pieces of batten to be attached to the bottom inside of the sides to take a bracing strip of oak side-to-side halfway down the crib. The bottom will look like this:

Head # ################### # batten#============================# foot batten

# || #

#============================# ==== lengthwise boards

# || # in oblong slots

#============================# in head/foot

# ################### # batten

side battens with

side-to-side

bracing batten

So all these bits of batten have to be attached to the original crib. But how? Options:

1 ) Bash in a few nails to repeat previous bodge. 2 ) Clamp and glue. Ancient or modern glue? 3 ) Same as 2) but with a few brass pins. 4 ) Pin or screw (brass or ?) from inside.

What's the best idea? Personally, I'd be happy not to make a permenant joint, and not to go too out-of-character (this thing is a bit rustic & has had some wear).

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.