| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Table top varnish issue

Posted By: Tom <schum035@tc.umn.edu> (x94-225-19.ej182.umn.edu)
Date: 9/25/1 14:20

I am basically a novice at refinishing and need advice with a potential problem on a walnut veneer table top. After putting on four coats of oil based, gloss varnish (Prat and Lambert #38), and diligently sanding between coats with 400 grit, I thought I was done. I waited a month, sanded with 600 grit, then rubbed with pummice. I did not achieve a high gloss, because I could still see faint grain (I did not fill the grain, instead thinking that 4 coats sanded well would work). I decided to put on a few more coats. I sanded the whole top with 400 grit. I put on a new coat. now, after 4 days, there are a few places, especially edges, where the varnish has not fully dried. I.e., I can push and the varnish in these spots wrinkels a little. It also appears in these spots to be slightly raised. So, do I just wait it out and hope these spots solifiy, or did I fail to sand enough, so the varnish did not stick right? If I sand this now, it will be gooey and create a bad surface. What would an experienced person do? I want this table top to look excellent, and I was close before putting on this coat. If I have to remove the coat, should I water sand like I have been between coats, or use mineral spirits? Any thoughts welcome.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.