| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: wicker restoration

Posted By: Anne (adsl-65-65-210-93.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: 9/20/1 01:05

In Response To: wicker restoration (Marianna)

I had some extremely dry and split woodwork in an old house I lived in. No one had lived in the upstairs for 20 years and windows were broken out up there. The woodgrain was wide open. So I painted on linseed oil and I can't remember if it was the boiled or not. The wood soaked it up overnight, so I put more on and then that soaked in a couple of days later. I put several coats on over a two or three week period and then let it sit for several more weeks for it to all soak in deeply before sealing it. That wood closed up, incredible, and I was able to refinish it and not use any wood filler. I wonder if the same thing would work on your wicker. What do you have to lose? As for varnishing it, I went to a chair caning class where the teacher said 'never varnish or paint a caned seat' but am doing rushing chairs right now and am told to varnish them when I am done. Do some more research and make a decision. Good luck.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.