| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

how that table turned out/ mixing finishes

Posted By: Anne Kobus (adsl-65-65-210-93.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: 9/20/1 00:49

Dear Jim and anyone else who has been following the saga of 'mixing finishes', I decided to go with the shellac but first did just a little more work on smoothing out the imperfections in the original lacquer finish. Well, by the time I got it to where it looked good, the lacquer was pretty much gone. So, I pressed on. I found a local source for shellac flakes. I used three different cuts of orange shellac flakes and it matched the original color amazingly well. Then I tried a product called Waterlox which is a varnish. I put 2 or 3 coats of that on and sanded in between all of these with 400 grit paper which was all I could find (no 360 that I could locate yet). Whoooee baby does it look good. I am doing kind of the same thing to the buffet. It does not have all the alligatoring and crazing, just a tired finish. First I went over the whole thing with a coat of lacquer thinner which smoothed out minor scuffs and scratches, then the three coats of different intensity orange shellac and a final coat or two of the varnish just for protection and to unify the look of the pieces. They look warm and so attractive, the beauty of the old patina preserved but ready for use by modern day diners. The china hutch is awaiting the same treatment but first I am waiting for the humidity to go down. Thanks for the tips, I have a Victorian marble top dresser that I will be doing soon and will have a couple of questions about that when the time comes.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.