| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique Bucket

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool246-183.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 8/23/5 00:08

In Response To: Re: Antique Bucket (Greg Scholl)

I have a similar pail, it is an old ice cream maker pail minus the container and crank. After years of soaking in water and salt the staves have shrunk to the point where they will all fall out were it not for the bottom and the fact that I have pushed the hoops up tight, and slightly out of their original locations. As Greg has suggested, a bit of glue may be the answer, but also I have found that just soaking the pail in water will return them to their original size. Once you have re-swelled the wood to fit tightly back together, over night, pour out the water and fill it with anti-freeze for a car radiator. This will displace the water and leave the wood fibers swelled permanently. After a couple days with the anti-freeze inside the pail you can strain the liquid if dirty and save it for the car radiator. Allow the pail to dry for a few days and then lightly buff with 000 steel wool and wax or coat with a poly finish of your desired sheen say flat, and no glue will be needed.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.