| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: doors

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 8/21/5 00:13

In Response To: doors (dan)

In my opinion it's better to keep all the Antique quality of this type of architectural object..I have done several installations like this, fitting Antique doors and other details into existing living spaces. Sometimes a more drastic restoration is necessary, but in most cases I love to see these things showing all the wear, patina, gouges, dents, scratches, holes, earlier less than perfect repairs,etc....but at the same time clean the surfaces fully, touch ups, sometimes filling, smoothing damaged areas, and some type of protective coating(s) to present a clean and attractive surface.The amount and type of restorations should match the character of the individual piece...an important aesthetic as well, but if the existing finish is failing, and can't be saved, then obviously more drastic measures may need to be taken. Many people who take on this type of challenge do strip, sand, etc...losing all the character and feel of the object. Many times a few experiments are necessary to arrive at the right course of action, but I would do everything in my power to preserve as much of the original surface as possible. You are right in assuming it will lose that "quality"...and it's instantly noticed by all who see it....even across a long distance..I just recently did a huge arched top door for a client,frame and panel construction with metal panels like tin cieling embossed panels, with massive iron hardware. This door was almost 4" thick, 8' high and 38" wide and weighed several hundred pounds. I had to make several of the radiused frame parts including door stops and completely disassemble the door and rebuild several broken areas. When it arrived from Europe, what was there of the frame, was stripped, and the door still had a dark brownish paint wash like surface, and required stripping, but there was still so much character in the surface that we got a great antique look to the final finish with glazes and a stain wash followed by colored wax. The door was installed in a hall way with an arched ceiling that was built for this door and it really made a statement in the house...these installations can be really effective when done right, but of course an antique massive door like this would look way out of place in a contemporary setting....

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.