| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Need help with Heywood wakefield restoration

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-3pool240-152.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 8/19/5 01:12

In Response To: Need help with Heywood wakefield restoration (dieter)

First, sanding a finish off is not a very good idea, compared to stripping. This will be hard on the wood especially if it is a veneer. Heywood probably would be a solid birch top, but it will take less time to strip off the finish and there is lead in most finishes, even clear types. I prefer the Old Masters TM 1 for this type of finish. I would start with naptha and 000 steel wool to help remove as much furniture polish silicone as possible before stripping. I would follow a palm sander with a good hand sand to insure that the spiral scratches are removed. Always use a low angle light in a darkened room to see if any low and high spots exist, before you start sanding. A NGR stain from a good paint store is a good choice, as the Haywood Wakefield color is tricky to create in most stain products. I would not use the spray can finish for a table top as this will be a slow way to get a good thick build. A brushing lacquer will be a better choice.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.