| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Shellac Finish

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 8/18/5 13:03

In Response To: Re: Shellac Finish (James Schooley)

Thats a great tip about the adapted razor blade, James...a few more observations would be to make sure that you use a tack rag whenever your finishing....after vacuming a sanded piece take a take rag to it and you'll see even more dust come off....any surface has an ion charge that holds fine dust..in fact vacuuming can increase that charge, I'm sure you've seen how the vac hose attracts and holds dust on the outside...use of a tack rag right before applying the finish will help a lot,if you spray shellac, it's very difficult to get it to flo out smoothly because of overspray from the gun...HVLP minimizes that a bit, and so can spraying at lower PSI's than you would with other coatings....also make sure to finish when the shop air has settled for the day....Varnish is really succeptable to this as it cures so slowly, but just walking around in the shop will stir up minute dust particles into the air that will settle out on all horizontal surfaces, and especially, using compressed air to blow dust off something will stir it up in the air for at least 20-30 mins.......I try to finish at the end of the day ..after leaving the shop for 30 mins. or more to let the air clear fully....and my last 2 cents worth is to reccomend using Dewaxed shellacs whenever using it as a sealer or barrier coat...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.