| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Italian Bed

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool247-1.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 7/31/5 21:28

In Response To: Italian Bed (Martin Medina)

You could have a mattress made to your spec.s but the other solution is to modify the bed rails or how they attaché to the foot and head. Some furniture stores sell metal brackets that spread the width of the rails, but they might not work for this case. We will make a filler block that uses the mounting plates of the original rail, or similar sized ones to fix a spacer of 2 1/2" for a longer length. As for the width a block can be made to sit on each side to add width, but it is not as easy to do both. A while back I had to work on a pair of rails for an old bed, and it wasn't till I was looking very closely that I noticed that they had been cut from corner to corned, slid along this line and glued back together a couple inches longer. There would be no great loss of strength and the grain is so similar in this method that it's not easy to spot at all. The board stretcher exists!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.