| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Refinishing dresser with mirror and glass knobs

Posted By: Margaret <mkk15235@yahoo.com> (pool-71-240-4-18.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: 7/26/5 09:42

I have a hand-me-down five drawer tall chest or dresser. It has casters on the legs and pretty glass drawer pulls. It has a small (22x28) mirror with semi-circular top set in a frame so that it swings. It is my belief that the dresser and the mirror/frame (which detaches) were not originally together, since the mirror frame has turned finials and the dresser design is basically square with no carving or turning. Anyway, it think it's hardwood of some kind, but someone applied some kind of dark reddish stain to both pieces apparently to get them to match. I want to remove this stain and refinish the piece. I think the piece is early 20th century. I've never refinished anything before. Questions: What's the best way to remove the ugly old stain? What should I use to re-stain it? I want to make it a dark, if not black, color.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.