| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

repair restore an old bed

Posted By: Marie <amphysa@yahoo.ca> (HSE-Sudbury-ppp197584.sympatico.ca)
Date: 7/25/5 14:17

I got an old bed that will probably need quite a bit of work to be restored to it's full potential. It has a number of dents, scratches, chips in wood carving, damaged missing decoration etc. I am not sure of its age (I would guess not very old). For now this is what I am trying to address. The headboard is a semicircle with & darker insert. The insert is a veneer laid out in or solarr pattern. It had a number of white stains (as if some liquid dropped on it, then ran down the surface). I tried to remove the stains using turpentine, but that did not rewove all of them. I have started sending now in the hope that once the top finish is removed the moisture would escape. That has noa happened so for (I tried running a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol over it quickly, but nothing happened). I have also filed a number of holes (from upholstery?) with wood putty. Here is my dilema: 1) How far do I need to sand/what to do to get rid of the stains and cover the white putty spots? 2) What finish do i use? The bed has a soft sheen to it, and the insert if anything hadit even less. 3) How do I ensure that I end up with the same shade? The bed has different woods/veneers on it, which is part of its beauty. A friend, cabinetmaker, thought they were diferent shades of walnut (midum-dark in the insert, light in another section that would need refinishing because of major scratches and gauges in the wood. How do i match color?

Is there a way to post pictures here, or should I post them on a web page, in order for you to see what I a talking about? Thank you in advance. Maria

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.